- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, not low fat
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 4 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract, optional
- 1 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavor)
- zest from 2 to 3 large lemons
- 3 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. Spray the insides of two, 9-inch loaf pans with a non-stick baking spray or use the flour and butter method. Line the inside with parchment.
Making the Bread Batter:
- Place the softened, unsalted butter into a large mixing bowl. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this recipe. Beat the butter on medium speed for a few minutes, until it’s extra fluffy and light.
- Next, add in the room temperature eggs and beat again for a few minutes, until the eggs and butter are well combined. The batter may look a little lumpy at this point, depending on the temperature of your eggs and butter.
- Add in the Greek yogurt, sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon extract (optional) next. Mix again for about a minute, until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Measure out your pure maple syrup from Canada and pour it into the mixing bowl. Add the zest from 2 to 3 lemons and sprinkle in the poppy seeds. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute, until the maple syrup is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter, then mix on low-medium speed, just until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the prepared batter evenly between the two bread pans. You can use a kitchen scale for accuracy.
- Bake the bread at 350F for 45 to 48 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Keep the pan spaced at least 6-inches apart in the oven.
- Once the bread is done baking, remove it from the oven and allow the loaves to cool in the pans for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the pans and onto a wire rack to cool completely.