- Maple shortcrust Pastry base recipe
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour (for work surface)
- Using a non-stick pan, sauté the onions in the maple syrup for about 20 minutes or until they’re caramelized. Salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into a 46×20-cm (18×8-in) rectangle.
- Spread the onion mixture on one half of the pastry and fold the other half over top of the onions. Cut into strips and twist them.
- Place the twists on the baking sheet and into the freezer for about 1 hour or until the dough is semi-frozen.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Bake on middle rack for about 20 minutes or until the twists are golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
Advice from Maple experts
Freezing Time: 1 hour