- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp maple sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 6 tbsp ice water (more, if needed)
- Mix flour, maple sugar and salt in food processor. Add the butter. Pulse a few times until butter is the size of large peas.
- Add the water and mix again until the dough just begins to form in the bowl. Add more water as needed.
- Remove dough from processor and form a 15-cm (6-in) square.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Begin the folding process on a floured work surface.
- Roll the dough into a 46×20-cm (18×8-in) rectangle. Fold the dough in two crosswise (as if closing a book). Fold in half again, the same way.
- Wrap once again in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Repeat these folding steps two more times, making sure to refrigerate for 1 hour each time.
Advice from Maple experts
Refrigeration Time: 3 hours 30 minutes