- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground meat (mixture of veal, beef and pork)
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup from Canada
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen vegetables (spaghetti mix)
- 2 1/2 cups store-bought tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb spaghetti, broken in half
- Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated, to taste
- In a very large pot with a lid, over high heat, add the olive oil and heat for a few seconds. Add the ground meat and pure maple syrup, and brown for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the vegetables, tomato sauce, basil, and water. Mix well. Add the dry spaghetti and stir. Cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente, gently stirring frequently to separate the noodles. If the mixture’s too thick, add up to 125 ml (1/2 cup) more water.
- Garnish with grated cheese to taste and serve.