- 2 apples, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp raisins
- 2 Tbsp rum
- 3 1/2 oz sponge cake
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 2 eggroll skins
- Egg wash, as necessary
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
- Thinly slice the apples. Place them in a microwave-safe dish, add lemon juice and microwave until soft.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum. Soak until raisins are soft.
- Dice sponge cake into 3 centimeter cubes; place in a bowl. Mix in apples, raisins, rum, pure maple syrup, butter and cinnamon. Let filling stand until sponge cake is moistened.
- Spread out one of the egg roll skins. Place half of the filling horizontally in the center. Fold the bottom edge of the skin over the filling then fold the top edge over. Repeat with remaining eggroll skin and filling.
- Place the rolls, folded side up, on a baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash; bake until golden.
- When cool enough to touch, garnish with powdered sugar as desired. Serve warm.
Visit your local farmers market and pick up some fresh apples while they are in season. What better way to start your morning than with a cup of coffee and a piece of warm Maple Apple Strudel? This easy-to-follow recipe calls for classic fall flavors of apples, cinnamon and pure maple syrup, but adds rum-soaked raisins for a culinary twist. These mini-delights can be easily shared with family and friends, unless you want to have them all to yourself!