- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 apples, quartered
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (preferably golden syrup, for its delicate flavor)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably golden syrup, for its delicate flavor)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 slices bakery-style multigrain bread
- Butter for the pan
- 1/2 lb cheese (Cheddar, Brie, Swiss, Oka, etc.), sliced
- Set a pan on medium heat, melt the butter, and cook the apples in it for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the milk, the 30 ml (2 Tbsp) maple syrup, and the vanilla.
- Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture, a few minutes on each side.
- Preheat a large pan on medium heat, melt a little butter, and fry each slice 3 minutes per side. Keep in a 150° C (300° F) oven while you do the remaining slices, or use two pans.
- Serve sandwich-style: a slice of cheese between 2 slices of French toast, topped with apple sauce.
Advice from Maple experts
Storing: Cooked French toast and apple-cinnamon sauce will keep 4 – 5 days in the fridge.