- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp lemon zest, minced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1/3 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 tbsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/3 lbs large scallops
- Melt butter and sauté shallot in a pan.
- Deglaze with lemon juice and white wine and let simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the lemon zest, maple syrup and bring to a boil.
- Add the cream and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Add the peppercorns and season with salt, to taste.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Gently cook the scallops either one minute on each side, or on one side only and until the top turns slightly opaque.
- Serve immediately with the sauce and a side of seasonal vegetables.