Ingredients for Crust
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup cold water
Ingredients for Filling
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Coarse sea salt, to garnish
To prepare the crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a pastry knife or your hands, cut butter into flour mixture until dough resembles coarse meal. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until dough comes together into a uniform ball. Wrap in cling wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/8-inch thick and line a 9-inch pie tin with dough. Prick with a fork. Top with baking paper and dried beans. Bake until crust is golden, 15-20 minutes. Remove baking paper and beans, and allow crust to cool.
To prepare the filling
- In a large pot over medium low heat, melt butter. Remove from heat.
- Add cornstarch and mix well to combine.
- Stir in pure maple syrup, cream and water.
- Return pot to heat. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture becomes thick and sticky. Allow to cool 20 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape filling into pie dough. Allow pie to rest 1 hour at room temperature, or 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
Advice from Maple experts
In honor of tapping season, treat yourself to some of our new sugar shack-inspired recipes. This surprisingly easy maple sugar pie is the quintessential Canadian dessert and sure to impress anyone you serve it to!