- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbles
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- 8 oz dark (semi-bitter) chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps hot or cold coffee
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably very dark syrup for its strong flavor)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup 35% whipping cream
- 2 packets of flavourless gelatine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Mix butter with cookie crumbles and nuts. Press onto the bottom of a 20-cm (8-in) springform pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream on low heat until it steams.
- Remove from heat, add the chocolate and coffee and whisk until smooth. Cool and pour onto the cooled baked crust.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, or for about 3 hours.
- In a casserole, heat maple syrup with milk and cream until the mixture is steaming.
- Meanwhile, combine the gelatine with water until it swells and dissolve it in the hot milk.
- Cool to room temperature and pour onto the firm chocolate layer. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To unmold the cake, run a knife along the edge of the cake. Decorate with maple syrup products (jelly, sprinkles, sugars, candy, etc.).