- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch red chili flakes, or to taste
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Seasonal vegetable suggestions
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, spiralized
- 1 yellow carrot, cut into rounds
- 1/2 small purple cabbage, sliced (approximately 3 cups or 720 ml sliced)
- 1 very firm avocado, peeled and diced
- Add the pure maple syrup, water, mustard seeds, and red chili flakes to a small pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, and turn off heat. Stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Place desired cut seasonal vegetable into a jar and pour the pickling brine to cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Gather your favorite seasonal vegetables, apple cider vinegar and pure maple syrup and ferment away! You can pickle just about anything, but we recommend using vegetables such as red onion, carrots, cabbage and even an avocado! The brine is the perfect combination of sweet and savory thanks to 100% natural pure maple syrup mixed with mustard seeds and red chili flakes. These pickled vegetables are great for topping sandwiches yet tasty enough to eat on their own, too.
Recipe developed by Danny Seo, Naturally